Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Healthy Protein Bars Recipe


We LOVE these healthy protein bars! My husband takes them to work and it gives him that extra mid-afternoon energy. This 9x13in dish of protein bars is packed with 120g of Protein.

Ingredients
* 1 cup instant Shaklee protein (Shaklee vanilla protein works too)
* 1 1/2 cups oats
* 1 cup almonds/walnuts, chopped
* 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
* 1/4 - 1/3 cup ground flax seed
* 1 1/4 cup natural peanut butter
* 2/3 cup raw honey (or organic agave)
* 1 tsp pure vanilla extract

Combine dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside. Heat honey on a stove until it starts to come to a boil. Remove from heat immediately so it doesn't burn and add peanut butter and vanilla extract. Stir until peanut butter is nice and smooth.

Add the peanut butter/honey mixture to the dry ingredients. Stir ingredients together until they stick. If mixture seems too dry, add extra peanut butter or honey.

Press mixture into a 9x13in glass dish. We like to melt some dark chocolate chips and spread the melted chocolate on top of the bars. Refrigerate and cool. Cut into squares and enjoy!



*Tip: If using peanut butter, make sure to use natural or organic as many brands add sugar, oil and preservatives.

Hope you enjoy this healthy, protein packed snack!



15 comments:

  1. do you know if I can skip the shaklee protein or if I can substitute it with something else?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! The protein is the main ingredient - I'm sure you could try it with another brand of protein if you prefer. We like using this Shaklee protein as it is all natural, non-GMO and has a neutral taste.

      Delete
  2. Hi,
    I am a new GFC follower. I found you on the Mom Bloggers Club. I would love for you to stop by my site and follow me as well. Thank you so much!
    http://www.chunkyandmonkeymd.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doesn't sound too difficult. :D Thanks for sharing on Motivated Monday I will have to give it a try.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Those sound good. I have never heard of anyone making these from home. I am glad you did. I am going to try these. My hubby and I need something like this and don't want to spend the money on the ones from the store. Thanks for sharing at Thursday's Temptation.
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jill! They are delicious and so much healthier than most protein bars at the store. Hope you enjoy them :)

      Delete
  5. Those look delicious. Pinning this for sure! Thanks for posting

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's nice to see a healthy recipe here! Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delicious!!! Oh my goodness...looks so GREAT! Thanks for sharing at Overflowing with Creativity! I can't wait to see what you link up at my party tomorrow! I LOVE being your newest GFC follower...you're so inspiring!

    XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love you blog and your shares. I have been a Shaklee distributor for 20 years, I found Shaklee when I was dying and a friend said just try it for a month, I am now 70 years old, on no medication and in perfect health and still able to play basketball and run circles around my younger husband. He calls me the "energizer bunny" Thank you to God who brought my friend with Shaklee Protein Drink, Vita Lea, Vitamin E. Beta Carotine and B Complex ~ within one month my doctor wanted to know what i was doing because I was healthier than he had seen me in years. I do not sell anymore as we travel almost full time but I still love Shaklee and God. I am so glad I found your blog
    Hugs Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cathy! So great to hear that thanks to Shaklee, you're living healthy without any medications!! Isnt it amazing what good nutrition and natural health can do to your body? Thanks for stopping by our blog!!

      Delete
  9. These are a must try, as I am kickin' off the New Year with a healthier outlook:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that you made your own protein bars!! These look phenomenal. My husband takes my chocolate oat balls to work - will have to try these to change it up for him! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. They look fantastic for something really healthy.

    ReplyDelete